Friday, November 06, 2009

Memories of Camp and Staff

I recently received an email from a longtime camper who hasn't been able to make it back the last couple of years. It struck me that what he says resonates with most of us who have ever been to Chippewa. Here's a short excerpt from the email:

"To be honest, I probably didn't go through a week during the summer where I didn't look back and wish that I was at camp that very moment, whether it was dominating at scatterball, running through camp to make flag ceremony, or even just hearing the van's horn honk and welcoming back the older campers fresh out of their own Canadian adventure. Tradition is something that deeply ties me to camp. The memories that I hold remain vivid (as I hope they should remain). However, the sense of family ties me closely to camp. At no point in my 4 years did I ever feel that I could not speak with any staff member if I had a problem, a story, a concern, or a highlight of my day. I view the staff (meaning JP, Cammy, all counselors, and, of course, you) as my family. Just through the way that people would say hello on the deck and ask me how I felt and how my day was means so much to me. It is amazing how personal you and the staff made my camp experience."

Needless to say, I love receiving emails or letters like this, and I receive them regularly from parents, alumni and current campers. They make my day.

No comments: