Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Camp is Awesome: Chapter 1

Welcome back, Grant. Thanks.
I am introducing a new short, interactive series for everyone to hopefully participate in here on the Camp Chippewa Blog. I will be sharing my favorite stories about some of the many places that make camp so awesome. Many of you have been to these places, so please chime in on the comments section to share your favorite story. Today's place...


Hook Island

Brief History - JP and Jerry found it. Cap loved it. It's in Canada. It rules.

In the summer of '99 Mike Thompson (back before he was Director. That's right, I know him way back when) and I took Demonia Cabin to Hook. Back then Demonia had some long time all-stars that some of you may have heard of like Evan Tomer and Scott Tonsfeldt. After a long morning of fishing in the pouring rain and only catching one fish, we took a break for lunch and some relaxation in the cabin. In the midst of me trouncing everyone in some UNO, we began to hear this low rumble in the distance. It was constant, so we know it wasn't thunder, but that was all we knew. We continued playing cards, but the rumble kept getting louder and louder. To me it sounded exactly like a stampede of horses. Unlikely it was horses since it is an island, but I was still pretty sure.
At this point we all got up and headed to the windows to see what it was. Looking out across the lake you could see what appeared to be a giant white wall in the distance spreading across the width of the lake. The wall continued to get closer and closer until it just off the tip of the "hook." We were about to be in the eye of hail storm! As soon as the storm came it was gone and I have never seen anything like it again.

OK, your turn! Light up the comments section with your favorite Hook Island story.

4 comments:

MKT said...

That hailstorm was so sweet. I still tell that story.

I can also remember the time in about 1987 (yes, I was around back then too) that Roger and I, along with the other CITs and Phil Sanders, moved a giant boulder that was submereged next to the dock at Hook. It had to be moved since several less-skilled boat drivers kept hitting it. So, seven us heaved and ho'd for about an hour until it finally rolled. Somehow, it was just as fun as catching fish!

Charlie Landis said...

Let's see, it must've been Eagle's Nest in the summer of 2003 when I was at Hook and on our last day of fishing, all of the sudden, everything started biting. In a span of about 30 minutes, we caught at least 12 Northern Pike, 2 or 3 of which were +36". Not soon after this, we all saw a white wall similar to this hail storm approaching. Back at the cabin, all of us grabbed our soap, shampoo, and swimsuits, and headed to the deck where we had our first shower in a long time. Albeit cold, it's a memory of Hook Island I will never forget!

Evan Tomer said...

That was a night I will never forget. The Great Hail wall hah. I agree Hook Island is an amazing place. I have been there several times and each trip was completely different. You never know what adventure you will have, and I have countless stories of other events at Hook that I will also never forget

Sam Thiessen Devine said...

I have so many memories of Hook island (catching huge fish, finding new cliffs to jump from, counselor hunt in the woods, chasing a bear!) that it is tough to pick any single one but Greg Tatum catching a northern at midnight is one that has always stuck out. It was really cool and only Greg and I got to see it.