Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Journey To Remember

Last summer, Charlie returned from the Little Churchill River trip completing a 19 day descent to Hudson Bay. This fall, in preparing college applications, Charlie wrote a wonderful essay about his trip and his many years at Chippewa. You can find the entire essay on the camp website. Here is a small excerpt.

"This past summer, a group of nine experienced trippers and I embarked on an adventurous and challenging 19-day voyage to the Hudson Bay. Canoeing 300 miles across pristine lakes and dense forests, we would paddle down roaring whitewater rapids and tell jokes around the campfire.....

Reaching the Hudson Bay after 17 days of paddling brought on a feeling of accomplishment I can’t explain. I had prepared for this moment for ten years of my life. Every year I went on progressively more challenging trips, starting with an overnight when I was nine years old, to a three-week trip in northern Manitoba when I was 17 years old. It was the culmination of my canoeing and tripping career at Camp Chippewa......

The most beautiful sunset I have ever seen lit the forest on fire, dyed the lake a dark orange and yellow, and stained the clouds a deep purple. I was completely at peace with myself for the first time in years. I had time to pause my stressful life and reflect on the natural beauty of my surroundings. I had the pleasure of looking at one of the most beautiful sights I will ever see with some of my best friends by my side....."


Anyone who has paddled the north country in a Chippewa canoe can relate to your sentiments, Charlie. Thanks for sharing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's even better in its entirety. Way to go Charlie. You have "gotten it" when it comes to the meaning of Camp Chippewa.