Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ordering Canadian Trip Maps

I'm often asked if campers can order a set of maps for their Canadian trips. The short answer is : absolutely. In fact, I think it is a great idea to bring a set of maps with you to camp if you know which Canadian trip you are headed out on. Though we try to provide a copied set for each sternman on our longer trips, I always liked having my own set that I could mark with portage points, rapid notes, campsites and other points of interest. Even if you aren't able to get maps before a trip, you can always order a set after your trip. (Hey parents, what a great gift idea!)

Several companies offer maps, but I have found World of Maps (800-214-8524) one of the most reliable and easy to deal with. To order your set, you will need to know the map index numbers and scale size. That can be a bit tricky, but lucky for you, this camp director can find those for you. As time goes by, I'll be posting the index numbers for our more popular trips. Maps cost between $8 and $12. To get us started, let's look at the Bloodvein.

Bloodvein River Trip map numbers:
For large scale 1:250,000 maps
52N (Trout Lake)
52M (Carroll Lake)
62P (HLCLA)

For smaller scale, more detailed 1:50,000 maps. (We typically use 1:50,000 maps on all but our Hudson Bay trips)
52N-4
52M-1, 2, 7, 6, 5, 12
62P-9, 8, 10, 15

Have fun!

No comments: