Saturday, May 17, 2008

Something fishy at Chippewa


Grape nuts and tortillas are not what the Voyagers were eating! Fish people- FISH! That's what they ate. And perhaps blueberries. This summer I want to see you men of the north out there doing as those before us did- catching your meals. The waters we paddle in Ontario and Manitoba are without question some of the best fishing waters in the world. Walleye and northern Pike are so thick up there you can't possibly help but catch thousands (ask Jerry Malloy). There are sturgeon and perch and trout and even tasty delicious little greyling. It's a cornucopia of aquatic treasures and yet we eat canned tuna for lunch. No longer. It is time to start taking advantage of natures bounty. Fish a la Blueberry (that's Fish with Blueberries for those of who you don't speak French) for every meal- just like the voyagers.

8 comments:

Joe said...

Well it'll certainly lighten those food packs!

MKT said...

Yes, Sam! Yes! Grab those fishing rods, boys, it's dinner time!

Anonymous said...

Funny you should post this. I've actually been working on a blueberry coulis that you could make on the trail for fish. It still needs work. I'll post it up when its done.
I'm also trying to work out a good short bread recipe that would work on the trail. Short bread and blueberries....mmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

The short bread recipe is ready...I'm just figuring out the best way to cook it. Obviously the reflector oven could be used and would work but I reckon there could just be an even more awesome way to do it. "Whaaaaa? Even more awesome than a reflector oven?" I hear you say. Well yes, leave it with me I may go a little mesolithic here! More to follow....

Sam Thiessen Devine said...

Are you suggesting we build small stone ovens on our trips? Bravo Peter bravo! Mussels and blueberry shortbread....mmmmmmmm.

grantino said...

Greyling? I saw those once. Remember, Sam, that time we saw greyling surfacing?

Sam Thiessen Devine said...

Perhaps one of the saddest days of my life Grant. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that if you build a large fire on a chunk of flat Canadian shield (about 1ft. across) and get good and hot. You could scrape the fire off and put the short bread on that next to the fire you just scraped off. After about 15-20 minutes it should be cooked. You then just need to carefully lift it off and leave it to cool for about another 20 minutes so that it will lose its softness and gain some lovely crumbly crunchiness.
I went camping last week and was going to try it out but I couldn't find a good piece of Welsh slate to try it out on. I was very upset.