Friday, November 28, 2008

About L.A. and Turkey

Just last weekend I made a trip to Los Angeles to introduce Chippewa to several new campers. It was a fun crowd and I'm looking forward to seeing some new guys from the West Coast next year.

While wandering the coast of southern California, I stopped in to say hello to a few alumni. Tony was a camper in the 1940s and Nick was a counselor in the 90s (hailing from England). Both are sailors, so I suspect that their love of sailing may have had something to do with their draw to southern California. Regardless, it never fails to amaze me to see the winding routes lives can take and the success that so many of our alumni have seen over the years. Yet, Camp Chippewa holds such meaning for them. Tony learned to sail on Cass Lake at camp, which lead to a life-long love affair with sailing. He and his wife are both still sailors in the San Diego area and they have a grandson at camp after sending three of their boys to Chippewa in the 80s. It is quite inspirational.

I trust that everyone had their fill of turkey and dressing yesterday. Natalie and I pass along our wishes for a happy Thanksgiving weekend...a welcome respite from our daily routine and wonderful time with family.

One last note to pass along. Just a few days ago, Allen "Moe" Sigoloff, the longtime director of Camp Thunderbird for Boys and an influential voice in the camping world, passed away in St. Louis after a battle with cancer. On behalf of the Chippewa family, I want to pass along our condolences to Carol, Shari and the entire Sigoloff and Thunderbird family. I will miss Moe's guidance and unfailing support of camping.

No comments: